Tuesday, December 13, 2011

be still my heart.

I promise, I'm not trying to brag. Though I am proud and extra smiley right now, I do have a really important point to make that requires you to see this:
Taking this class was one of the best choices I have made at Ohio State. Melissa is a wonderful instructor and was so knowledgeable about everything we discussed. She always had extra examples in case we were struggling with grasping concepts or visualizing scenarios. I learned so much about myself and about others that I have interacted with. I feel like I am prepared to deal with any leadership situation I will encounter as well as the diverse personalities of those whom I may encounter. 
I would take anything Melissa taught in a heartbeat.

And there it is. 

Smelly markers. It's a student affairs thing.
I'll admit it, my job can be both professionally and personally draining at times. I've been struggling recently to manage my own life in exchange for churning out great work. It happens, and I'm pushing through knowing that rough patches are inevitable. Right now though, in this moment, as I read through the comments my students in my Intro to Leadership Theory course submitted to the university about my class, I am reminded of how lucky I am to do what I do, and how much energy, inspiration and love surround me each and every day, even amidst the chaos. 

I also know that there is no way I would be successful at this job if I didn't absolutely love it.

If you don't have a job or career that motivates you to be a better person (not a better employee, a better person), you are seriously missing out. I would encourage you to do something about that. You deserve feedback like this, too.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, sister. You + Me + Others = Leadership Education Opportunities of my DREAMS. Not to brag, either, but to share most sincerely that I 100% know of what you speak and why you speak it and what it MEANS....I just got this from a student: "This class was definitely a major challenge, but it was a really amazing experience at the same time. I thought I would hate it, but it turns out that I loved it. This class has definitely helped me be so much more authentic than I have ever been before and I think a lot has to do with the way you allow us to do that and encourage us to create such a tight knit community. I cannot explain how much I appreciate your teaching and words of wisdom that you leave me thinking about during class. I feel like I always leave class so inspired after what we do. I am so glad I decided to take this class and feel so fortunate to have you for a teacher! So this is my thank you to you for being one of the most inspirational teachers I have ever had and helping create so many memorable moments for me and allowing me to learn so much more about myself."

    This is living. Talk about professional privilege.
    Leadership high fives to you ProfRoc :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. See?! I'm tearing up reading your comment, too! That's so amazing, Maggie. And I think it is so neat that we are both experiencing this world and can share stories. :)

    ReplyDelete